Notice: I've taken a part-time job, and it's definitely affecting my blogging time. I'll continue to add content here as often as possible. Pertinent guest posts are always welcome.

-

Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Essential Adirondacks

beaver pond
overlooking a beaver pond
photo by Mary Coffin
by Joan H. Young

This is a short "painting" of the Adirondack experience in essay form. If you want more of a trail journal, see Triple Play in the ADKs.

I'm sitting in a restaurant waiting for my dinner sandwich, a "Squawking Clucker," to arrive. We (my hiking pal Marie and I) have just one more day to walk on this hike, our third day along the Black River Canal from Forestport to Rome, New York. The canal walk has been interesting and civilized, but this trip is defined by our time in the forest.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word, "Adirondacks?" Mountains, clear blue lakes ringed by pointed spruce, and the wild call of a loon? We camped night after night... more

No comments: