Notice: I've taken a part-time job, and it's definitely affecting my blogging time. I'll continue to add content here as often as possible. Pertinent guest posts are always welcome.

-

Monday, April 13, 2009

Coyer Views Ice Damage on SHT from Air

ice storm near Beaver Bay
Beaver Bay Ice (photo by Gayle Coyer)
from Gayle Coyer, Executive Director Superior Hiking Trail Association

I was able to fly over a part of the SHT last week (quite a fun ride!) to view the ice storm damage from the air. From the south, it's generally not too bad until you get to about Fault Line Ridge. Beaver Bay, Silver Bay, Bean and Bear Lake, Wolf Ridge seem hard hit. Eric Lindberg tried to get to Bean Lake last week and said in about 2.5 miles there were about 1,000 (!) trees covering the path (mostly young aspen).

So it's going to take quite a while to get everything cleared up. There's still at least 1-2 feet of snow in the woods (I've been measuring with a yardstick!) so a lot of the blowdown is still covered by the 16" blizzard that followed the ice storm.

ice storm near Beaver Bay
Twin Lakes Spur Ice (photo by Gayle Coyer)


I didn't take any photos from the air, but here are some taken at ground level of the damage. I'll be posting some trail clearing opportunities shortly for those of you who might be interested.

Superior Hiking Trail Association

No comments: