Notice: I've taken a part-time job, and it's definitely affecting my blogging time. I'll continue to add content here as often as possible. Pertinent guest posts are always welcome.

-

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sage Enjoys NCT near Yankee Springs

North Country Trail south of Chief Noonday Road
south of Chief Noonday Road (photo by Sage)
from the blog Sage Covered Hills , used with permission

Jeff, aka, Sage, likes to hike in Yankee Springs Recreation Area, Michigan. Here's what he had to say about this day, April 5. "The dog and I took a hike yesterday afternoon along the blue-blazed North Country Trail. It was a pleasant day to see what signs of spring may be lurking under the dead leaves. The trail wove in and out between hardwood stands and pine plantations. A stiff breeze was blowing, bringing in cooler and wetter weather. Tonight they’re calling for snow, but yesterday the wind rustled through the pines, creating the lonely sound that gives a rise to my desire to roam."

North Country Trail south of Chief Noonday Road
south of Chief Noonday Road (photo by Sage)
This section is handy for Sage in any season. He also visited it in February, and wrote: "I’m getting tired of this weather. We get a good base of snow, then it warms up for a day or two and rains and we have to start all over. But for this weekend, I’ve been able to enjoy cross-country skiing. Friday afternoon I skied with my daughter. The first picture is of her and the Triscuit (the dog). The dog loves to go with us, but he constantly has to stop and clean the snow out of his paws... The trees are beautiful when snow hugs the trees."

Hearing of people who use the trail on a regular basis confirms the value of trail work for many volunteers. Enjoy the trail, Sage!

See the April post A Walk in the Woods
See the February post Weekend Photos

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It was a pleasant day to wee what signs of spring may be lurking under the dead leaves"

Did you both wee under the dead leaves or just the dog?

Sorry. Too good to pass up.

GrumpyGord

sage said...

GrumpyGord, I'm surprised some of my regular readers didn't already make that joke! What a difference a letter makes.

Thanks Joan, for reposting this... Looking at your blog, I'm amazed and humbled by how much of the trail you've hiked. I've completed the Appalachian and the John Muir Trails, but wow, you've done a 1000 more miles that than on just the NCT.

Sharkbytes said...

Too funny guys! I think I'll fix the post to say "see" and let you "wee" in private.

Sage- I'm just a crazy thing, who loves this trail!